Lacrosse General Information & Rules
From 2019, SACPSSA has introduced new sports into its carnival programme, and one of these is Lacrosse.
The SACPSSA Lacrosse Carnivals will be held over four days in Term 2, as a collaboration between our association and the Junior Development Team of Lacrosse SA.
Following the established rules of modified junior Lacrosse, the carnivals will be open to Year 3/4 and Year 5/6 age groups and will take place at Barratt Reserve, West Beach. Teams will be single gender only.
The carnivals are open to teams from Catholic primary schools or colleges. Teams will be boys or girls. There’ll be no mixed teams.
The carnivals are focused on mass participation, learning and enjoyment. Match results will not be collated and no carnival awards will be presented.
- Team nominations are available for separate Boys and Girls teams in the age groups of Year 3/4 and Year 5/6.
- Teams consist of 5 players on the field; substitutes are allowed.
- Teams will not have a player in the ‘goalie’ position.
- Nomination costs are $30 per team.
Barratt Reserve, West Beach
All match equipment supplied by Lacrosse SA.
All teams must be under the supervision of a teacher or a responsible adult appointed by the school.
Modified Lacrosse Rules
- Deliberate stick and body contact is not allowed.
- On any free, the player awarded the free can pass, or run, with the ball.
- All players must stand 2m or more from player taking the free.
- Intentional fouls can result in the offending player being removed from the field for the rest of the game.
- Players cannot trap the ball by covering it with their stick.
- A defensive player’s stick must be vertical.
- If a player ‘follows through’ after a shot or pass and contacts a defender’s stick forcefully, the foul is on the shooter / passer.
- Carry limit of four seconds.
- Strictly ‘one v one’ on any ground ball contest.
- ‘Out of bounds’ – opposing team awarded the ball. Player restarts from just inside the field of play. Can run or pass.
- Defence around goal circle must be one on one. Cannot “build a wall”.
- No player allowed inside goal circle. No goal keepers.
- After a goal is scored, opposing team restarts from next to the goal circle. Scoring team must retreat past the half way line.
- Attacking team must have one pass in attacking half before shooting. Umpire calls, “Shot’s on!” if this has occurred.